[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Fri Jan 25 13:32:36 GMT 2008

I say, I think after Matt's announcement, we are going about it slightly
off.

I think we should fix the current localization issues with the current
base, since both issues have patches which with a few slight
modifications can fix the issues for 2.5. The current discussion can
make it into 2.6, and by the time that happens, probably will have an
awesome solution.

The patch for #3089, only needs to have all __() functions switched to
translate(), so that it doesn't pollute the WordPress catalog. The
current patch by Hodgdon works, except for that one issue. Once that fix
is committed, it will remove that ticket from our minds for 2.5 and we
can move on implementing a better way in 2.6.

The patch for #5651, only needs to be completed and should reduce the
memory load on big single file plugins. Add in the fix for #3141, and
you have the recipe for something that fixes three central issues, two
with memory usage and one with localization of plugins. I think it would
make 2.5 even better than it already is and will mean a lot to those
that use the features.

However, since they have patches and have been partially tested, I think
it would be better to get the fixes in to 2.5, where it won't make a lot
of changes to the core and think about moving on for 2.6. I look forward
to having the new proposal in  2.6 (hopefully it is implemented in 2.6).
We really should be looking at 2.5 and what we can do for it on
this/these issues.

Jacob Santos

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://funcdoc.wordpress.com - WordPress Documentation Blog/Guide Licensed under GPLv2

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.