[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Fri Jan 25 08:09:24 GMT 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:25:29PM -0600, Stephen Rider wrote:

> Look, we could leave the metadata exactly where and as it is, with
> one addition:
>
> Text Domain: myplugin
>
> The additional functionality should be added _once_, in core, instead
> of in each plugin.

I think this is an excellent solution.  It seems very future proof, too.

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 03:20:39PM -0800, Ryan Boren wrote:

> When creating a gettext po file, we search the source for __() and
> _e() and extract the strings within them.  Strings meant for
> translation must be within __() or _e() somewhere in the source.  If a
> plugin's files don't do __() or _e() on the metadata strings, those
> strings won't be available for translation lookups.

A plugin could also use _c().  And when another gettext function is
created in the future, any code scanning the source for them would need
to be updated again to keep this kind of heuristics working correctly.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>