[wp-hackers] Tag cloud semantics

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Thu Jan 24 21:41:02 GMT 2008

> > So I hope we leave it the way it is.
>
> The way it is is not only awful, it's non-semantic and completely
> against the whole point of separation of the style from the content.

At the risk of being a blowhard by stating the obvious, I thought the
point of separation of style and content was to write less markup and
be as compatible as possible.

In this case the least markup required is DEFINITELY with the
non-semantic solution, and as Andy said, there is really no risk to
actual users (disabled or otherwise) that isn't at least as bad as the
wonky CSS hacks being proposed to make it 'semantic'.

 Most importantly, this is definitely not worth breaking any templates
over! If a semantic version of the cloud is added it should be by
making it an option inside wp_generate_tag_cloud(), or else adding a
whole new function and letting the hardcore designers use that
instead.

 If 2.5 Kubrick uses the optional semantic option in the function and
accompanying CSS then great, people can switch their themes and use
the Kubrick CSS as a starting point. But incombatibilitating (ha ha
ha) all themes that don't have the semantic CSS classes set up is
obviously not even close to worth it.

 jeremy clarke
 http://simianuprising.com