[wp-hackers] i18n of plugin description

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Jan 24 18:53:12 GMT 2008

On Jan 24, 2008, at 11:05 AM, wordpress at santosj.name wrote:
> In my experience, it seems very difficult to create .mo files and the
> steps required are quite painful.

I've found they are quite easy to deal with if you use Poedit.

1) Open .pot or .po file.
2) Edit or add translations as needed.
3) Save.  .mo file is automatically created on save of .po

<http://www.poedit.net/>

Regarding the overall issue of localizing plugin descriptions -- I
think any viable solution would _have_ to be able to use the
normal .mo file.  This is most likely going to require a few changes
to core.  Having a whole extra set of language files (or one loooong
one with "all" translations would be a bear to maintain, especially
when there is already a localization system in place!

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
<http://striderweb.com/>