[wp-hackers] Tag cloud semantics

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Wed Jan 23 19:00:08 GMT 2008

On Jan 23, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:

> What Tantek does is actually use the <big> and <small> elements,
> nested. He feels that's the most semantic use. You can see it in
> action on Technorati. (Not sure if it survived redesigns after he
> left.)

The current Technorati front page appears to use nested <em></em>
elements. I read somewhere over the summer the <em> is one of the few
available HTML elements that can be nested. So in effect each tag node/
item is wrapped in a number of nested <em> </em>s. The CSS for this is
simpler since you can increase the relative font size by using
something like:

#tagcloud em {
	font-style: normal;
	font-size: 1.05em;
}

This will scale the font very nicely, The obvious down side is the
extra character count added to the weight of the page. Oh bother.

P-