[wp-hackers] Tag cloud semantics

Knut-Olav Hoven hovenko at linpro.no
Tue Jan 22 13:15:05 GMT 2008

I think it should be a lower bound to change the theme than to create a new
plugin or hack into WordPress code, to get a different look.

A theme is the view, which presents the information to the users. HTML should
not be written by PHP code.

It's OK to keep backwards compatible with plugins, but adding new features
like tags does not automagically -have- to work with older themes.

Make the developers be forced to update their themes; it's called evolution
and is good for development.

On Tuesday 22 January 2008 04:50:18 Aaron D. Campbell wrote:
> I think the reason would probably be that so many templates don't have
> classes set up for that kind of thing, so it wouldn't work in existing
> setups.  However, having said that, I'd prefer it to be classes.
>
> Ryan McCue wrote:
> > Is there any reason why wp_generate_tag_cloud() uses explicit
> > font-sizes rather than using classes? One would assume that for
> > semantics it would be better to use classes, like tag-highpop, etc.
> > I'd be willing to contribute a patch to this effect if needed, but was
> > just wondering if there was any reason to the thinking behind it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ryan.

Knut-Olav Hoven
Systemutvikler               mob: +47 986 71 700
Linpro AS                    http://www.linpro.no/