[wp-hackers] We already know you are awesome, you don't have to proveit

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Sun Jan 6 14:32:45 GMT 2008

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 23:43:39 -0600, Jacob Santos <wordpress at santosj.name>
wrote:
> Can we keep overly complex code out of the source when it does not need
> to be?
>
> I've noticed while loops that should be foreach loops (fixed). I've just
> seen code that tests whether a variable is an array without using
> is_array() (will be fixed in patch when finished).
>
> Yes, you have proven that you are awesome, but you don't need to prove
> it. Now for the love of all that is holy please stop. Overly complex
> code when it does not need to be does not help people decipher your code.
>
> Thank You.

Good point, and props for the rewrite.

IMHO though, this isn't the result of a conscious effort on any coder's
behalf to show-off so much as it is part of the human psychology.

Jeff Atwood has a pretty to-the-point article on that [1], which, I think,
says it all.

[1]: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000878.html

Cheers,
CG