[wp-hackers] have-a-bash

Lloyd Budd lloydomattic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 22:59:13 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Jeremy Visser <jeremy.visser at gmail.com> wrote:
Subject was Re: [wp-hackers] Google Summer of Code 2008
> On Wed, 2008-02-27 at 16:24 +1000, Ryan McCue wrote:
>  > As a side note, any chance WordPress can participate in the GHOP?
>
>  +1.
>
>  In the meantime, could we standardise some keyword+report on Trac like
>  "have-a-bash", where we flag easy tickets for people looking for fun to
>  hack on?

What is the criteria for a "have-a-bash" item? How do you define easy?
Fixing easy issues in isolation doesn't often help that much get
someone in the door or help a project. What is interesting is when
someone stays around to fix the problems that their fix causes.

I've never found that it takes much effort to find tickets of various
complexities. In previous projects, a "have-a-bash" approach most
often led to the person creating the list of tickets being frustrated.
 What seems to work better is developers (mentors) being generous and
proactive interacting directly in tickets, and developers searching
out opportunities to work one-on-one with interested pupils.

Contributing to http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-tests/ would also
be a brilliant way for someone to get involved.

Cheers,
Lloyd