[wp-hackers] Re: Turn off blog/ Pure CMS?

Paul Menard paul at codehooligans.com
Thu Feb 21 16:56:29 GMT 2008

I think this thread is getting a little off topic from the original
question. But I just want to add that I've worked in Documentum,
Sharepoint, Drupal, EzPublish, Vinette, RedDot (shudder). Creating
small and very large-scale multi-departmental sites using these tools.
And you know what they all suck mainly because the decision to use the
tool was decided long before the requirements for the project were
discussed. In my experience clients have a lofty idea what they think
a CMS should be. In simple terms a CMS should allow the client with
very little technical abilities to maintain content. Some of the
larger system add various 'features' that are so complicated many tech
folks scratch their head when attempting to simply put a calendar on a
page.

I like WordPress and use it to make my living by enabling my clients
to maintain their own content without the need to ping me or worse
have me charge them for entering content. Sure WordPress lacks some
features like content versioning. A really robust workflow system like
Drupal. But most of my clients are less than 3 people who enter
content. They don't need to complicated system because they decide
outside the WordPress system what is ready to be published.

Just my comments.

Paul