[wp-hackers] 2.5 admin menu thoughts

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:30:48 GMT 2008

Usability wise, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction,
especially for new users.

A new user just wants to:
 * Write stuff,
 * Manage the stuff they've written,
 * Manage their comments,
 * and Customize their website.

That's exactly what the new menu makes available for them straight from the
outset; it makes the day-to-day tasks more accessible.
They don't need to worry about settings, uses and plugins on a regular
basis, so those links are stowed away at the top.

And I'm not really sure about the dashboard link... Maybe just a space
saving measure; lots of plugins add tabs to the admin menu so it needs to
start off with the least amount of items possible. But it's probably
something else.

*Improvements:*
I would lean towards removing the "Help" and "Forums" links from the header,
we have these in the footer already; makes it look a little cluttered and I
feel quite strongly that the "Log out" should be to the far right. It's
become a habit for me to go straight there to log out of most web
apps/websites - and its a habit I've heard other people have.

I would personally move the "Dashboard" link into the main navigation, but
thats just because I haven't heard the case for its current position.

Dropdowns! Most users would certainly appreciate this, and I know I sure
would.
I want to manage my categories, but I have to first visit the "Manage Posts"
page to get access to the sub-nav. Dropdowns would speed things up a lot.