[wp-hackers] WP 2.5 Demo Site

Jeremy Clarke jer-wphackers at simianuprising.com
Thu Feb 14 15:47:08 GMT 2008

Now that this thread has hopefully cooled down to a "lets actually
help him make it secure" level, I'll just point out that while XAMP
and MAMP make it stupidly easy to run a local web server (just tell
people to download a simple app and then run it), installing and
running SVN is WAY harder.

There's a lot of conceptual work involved in knowing what the hell you
even WANT from 'SVN', let alone deciding how you want to implement it
(what interface) and how to make it work with your web server. Reading
about it also tends to drop a lot of command-line advice that is hard
for non-programmers to parse. If WP had snapshots or something (not
saying it should or that it doesn't somewhere out there) then it
wouldn't be as big of a deal, but telling people to make system-level
changes so they can SVN-up the new unstable WordPress really is a
fairly big request, and for people who are just curious, I think this
site is a valuable resource.

That said, I think the important thing to remember (for Lloyds
concerns) is how anyone pointing to the site is talking about it. We
should never say anything like "this is the new wordpress", but
instead stick to descriptions like "WARNING: THIS IS ALPHA AND FOR
VIEWING ONLY!" (someone will break this rule but if most people are
responsible i'm sure WordPress' integrity will survive).

 Chris: It might also be worth making the fact that it's an Alpha
release clear in the title (so it's visible in the whole admin
section). Also, please hardcode the url as people have said before,
it's pimping venetian blinds right now :S

Jeremy Clarke
http://simianuprising.com