[wp-hackers] Improving Plugin (and Theme) metadata

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Fri Feb 8 22:21:31 GMT 2008

Andy Skelton wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2008 5:20 PM, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu> wrote:
>> When creating a gettext po file, we search the source for __() and
>> _e() and extract the strings within them.  Strings meant for
>> translation must be within __() or _e() somewhere in the source.  If a
>> plugin's files don't do __() or _e() on the metadata strings, those
>> strings won't be available for translation lookups.
>
> We should have a more flexible po creation script so that we can parse
> meta comments, providing the feature we want (localized meta) while
> keeping annoyance to 3rd-party devs at a minimum (zero).

The problem with this idea is that people who internationalize their
plugins and themes do not generally use WP-provided tools for making
PO and MO files. They generally use third-party tools such as POEdit. See:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon

Poplar ProductivityWare * www.poplarware.com
Web Databases/Scripts * Modeling/Analysis/Palm OS Software