[wp-hackers] making the code editor the default view

Bernard D. Tremblay ab006 at chebucto.ns.ca
Sun Feb 3 04:13:25 GMT 2008

*such a pain that archives doesn't provide a Reply function; coincidentally, in
"xmlrpc issue or no?" Matt's coping with fallout from a fouled up Send.
Keyboarding errors was identified as a major source of problems 8 or 9 hundred
months ago. WTF #42*

on Fri Dec 7 2007 at 18:04:09 GMT Andy Skelton <skeltoacATgmail.com> emitted:
[That's hand-sewn ... the format we should have had standardized 18 gazillion
years ago.]

> Hackers! Has this thread gone so far off-topic only because nobody
> has the ability or desire to write code? Back to the original question:
*Doffs hat in Ranaan's general direction.*
Thanks, Andy, for a great entry-point I can use to say hello.

I won't go into why I've been so slow/reluctant to get into things WP ... maybe
Moz burned me, maybe it's the small-company dynamics. Dunno, and it's academic
(That does notRPTnot mean meaningless ... just of anthropological interest.
Folk who pretend interest in "agile" can't sluff that stuff off.)
Lemme just say: the more I got into it, the more I got into it.
Which isn't to say a couple times I shook my head so violently I dang near
knocked fillings loose.

An editor that a) presumes to know better than the writer while b) blowing off
hand-coded material should be c) shot right behind the ear, repeatedly, as
required.

I'm /flabbergasted and gob-smacked/ that this has been suffered so long ...
speaks to users' loyalty ... my gawd, the thousands of hours, tens of
thousands, that have been wasted in frustrating re-write, cope, and shrug.
Smacks of the psychological abuse inflicted on us w/Win95.

That by way of context.

On Dec 1, 2007 5:43 AM, Johannes Ruthenberg <johannes at bolarus.de> wrote:
>> I recently wondered wether it would be possible to have both the visual
>> editor (tinyMCE) and the code editor switched on, but making the code
>> view default.
>It would be possible with some work.
*blink*
Say what?
It should be a matter of toggling a bit somewhere.

The editor window opens. It displays WYSIWYGAISS. (What You See Is What You Get
And I Say So). User clicks "Code".
That click toggles how much logic?

> The tabs we now have were the product of much hair-pulling by me a while ago
Thanks. It's usable. But I have to wonder why it was so hair-pulling.
Have we here confounded "tabs" with "WYSIWYG/AISS"?

> and the experience was not so much fun that I contain a burning desire
> to make it work as you propose.
I take that as a fault indication.
We're talking about a presentation that has one of 2 states.
One of those 2 is default.
The other is selected by a single click.
We would benefit by having that 2nd state become default.

Oh, wait ... are you talking about the tabs that would allow that selection?
Ok ... yes.

> Of course, I would love it if it worked that way.
Well dang ... it ain't just you and me and Johannes ... everytime I talk about
this I get so back-thumped I'm tempted to start asking for a round of beer.

> For the person who takes this as a challenge (as I meant it)
> I will answer technical question on or off this list.
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Bentrem/EditorScratch was created 11DEC07
The Discussion page is still virgin.

I've had 0.00 feeback about this.
If that page isn't worth a shrug, then heh I'll leave you in peace.
;-)

> Andy
ben

p.s. the time I spent ram-rodding Indymedia's PHP hurt my brain ... I need
another barrel of snakes like I need another hole in the head ... but I suggest
http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Bentrem/TheLoopScratch shows I'm not just
muckin' about. If that doesn't count *shrug* then it doesn't count.

--
   |    Bernard D. Tremblay (Ben)   |  Ben Tremblay & Associates  |