[wp-hackers] Problems with shortcode function in plugin

Ade Walker photofantaisie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 16:11:04 GMT 2008

Hi all,

I am upgrading a plugin of mine to have a shortcode for those users who
don't like editing their template files.

So, I added the add_shortcode hook to my plugin file, and call the main
plugin function within this hook. This works fine in that I can add the
shortcode when writing posts and the plugin's output appears within the
post. My problem is that the position of the shortcode within the post
content (whether, in Edit Post, I insert it at the beginning, middle or end
of the post) is completely ignored and the plugin output always appears at
the beginning of the post content. I'm using the_content to display the post
content in my test setup.

Clearly I am misunderstanding something basic about the shortcode API, so if
anyone can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ade.