[wp-hackers] Known when on Comment page x?

Peter van der Does peter at avirtualhome.com
Mon Dec 15 19:51:23 GMT 2008

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:19:01 -0800
Dan Gayle <dangayle at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's not the greatest solution, as now you would be losing the
> content of the comments, one of the main considerations of SEO to
> begin with. Adding a rel="nofollow" to the links that goes to the
> sub-pages might do the trick, as long as the link to the main post
> page isn't nofollowed.
>
> When you do that, Google won't spread the "juice" from the main post
> page, but juice from the secondary pages will flow up toward the
> primary page.
>
> Remember, nofollow doesn't mean noindex. Google WILL index the
> secondary comments pages and give them their own pagerank,
> independent of the nofollow referer. Thus, any benefit that they
> might have should be transfered to the page that you want your
> pagerank to rest upon.

Thanks Dan for this info, I'm a complete noob when it comes to SEO.

If I understand correctly by adding the rel="nofollow" to the links
Older Comments and Newer Comments it could increase the pagerank of the
main page?

But this won't take care of the problem of duplicate Titles and Meta
Descriptions, correct? What if you could add
<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, FOLLOW">
on the pages with the comment-page url? Would that be helpful?

--
Peter van der Does

GPG key: E77E8E98

WordPress Plugin Developer
http://blog.avirtualhome.com

GetDeb Package Builder/GetDeb Site Coder
http://www.getdeb.net - Software you want for Ubuntu