[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Jacob Santos wordpress at santosj.name
Sat Dec 13 01:51:33 GMT 2008

Questions:

What is the technical definition of a derivative work in layman's terms?

Why is a theme considered a derivative work of WordPress, if it is
released separately, but dependent on WordPress?

People keep saying GPLv2, but why couldn't I release my code new BSD?

I do release my code new BSD, the HTTP API would also be new BSD, if I
had caught it quick enough. I suppose the issue now is that I would need
permission from Ryan and DD32 + plus a couple of others in order to
change the license. The HTTP API can be used separately from WordPress,
with a few modifications to remove the wp_option code.

(Talk to me like I'm an idiot, because I know nothing)

Jacob Santos