[wp-hackers] Re: Removal Of Over 200 Themes?

Jeff Chandler jeffro at jeffro2pt0.com
Fri Dec 12 22:23:30 GMT 2008

Yes, I tried to verify if that line had been added or was always their
but based on what I've read, looks like that was added to the list of
requirements. Also, I know with David Coveney who started this
conversation is noting that Matt has told him not to strictly tie this
event to Automattic as Automattic and WordPress.org or two separate
entities. I agree with that and it makes me wonder just how intertwined
the two are? Unfortunately, an event like this that is tied to the
WordPress.org side of things can easily be blamed on Automattic as
people think they're all one in the same.

So if this ruling sticks, I see one of two things happening. Either
premium theme authors adapt and give away themes while selling support
packages and thus, the WordPress.org team single handedly forces premium
theme authors to change their business model or, premium theme authors
will continue to operate without the promotional benefits of links
within free themes available in the repository. Then again, I think the
Premium theme market for WordPress has done pretty well outside of the
confines of the theme repository and the WordPress.org epicenter.

I hate repeating myself, but I'd like for the leader of the project to
step up and lead and let the followers know that 'this is the way it's
going to be' and although we might have more things to talk about, at
least having the leaders perspective and reasoning behind all of this
would make the entire situation a little clearer.