[wp-hackers] Slow loading WordPress (Hack solution)

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sun Dec 7 08:54:20 GMT 2008

Rick Boatright wrote:
> On shared-hosting servers, the web server uses the domain name that is
> called in order to decide which "home" directory to use.  Otherwise, since
> the ip address is the same, how to tell 1632.org from ericflint.net?    The
> IP solution simply -does not work- on shared hosting servers.

It can tell the difference the same way it normally does for an HTTP
connection by the host header otherwise shared hosting simply would not
work.

I think the real problem that can come from trying to use an IP Address
is when a shared server has multiple IP Addresses for different users.

In this scenario if you use the wrong IP address then the web server on
the end of the connection won't have a matching host.

The other problems that have come up are servers which are configured to
not allow to connect back to themselves.

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5