[wp-hackers] WP 2.7 menu sidebar

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Aug 25 21:34:13 GMT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Jen Simmons wrote:

> Please don't go backwards by replacing the normal-people friendly
> things that Happy Cog (and their usability research) did with geek-
> centric concepts that scare most people.

This is the heart of the discussion.  Imagine sitting down with your
mother (or grandmother) and showing them how to make a blog using
WordPress.  Which set of links will they understand better?  Which
will intimidate them less?

Again, I really do like the concept (by another commenter) that we
make the admin interface skinnable.  Leave the default as it is, and
make the CrazyHorse stuff a plugin.

> Please, please, please remember that people who build sites from the
> command line and code in php have an entirely different experience
> of computing than 95% of people who use the web. And we want those
> massive of people using WordPress.

YES

> I'd like to comment more on the proposed 2.7 design — but I can't.
> Why? Because I'm not a SVN/ command line geek. I install sites via
> drag and drop, so I haven't seen 2.7 (just read emails about it). Do
> realize all your initial feedback is coming from developers... not
> from designers.

You cqn download the nightly as a .zip ... somewhere.  The heck if I
can find the link though.  (Why is this link so hard to find on the WP
site?  It should be linked from here: <http://wordpress.org/download/nightly/
 > )

Here it is.  Scroll to the bottom for the download link:
<http://trac.wordpress.org/browser/trunk>

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider