[wp-hackers] WP 2.7 menu sidebar

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Sat Aug 23 17:39:37 GMT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 9:08 AM, Xavier Borderie wrote:

> At first I thought CrazyHorse would be part of a neat new
> functionality for WP: user-made admin template. Wow, now THAT would've
> been cool! :) Not only would you have been able to let users choose
> between 2.5-style or CrazyHorse-style admin, but WP professionnals
> would've been able to tailor-build admins for their clients!

That would be a most excellent idea.  Don't just let users pick
colors; let users choose an admin style: 2.5 admin vs. Crazyhorse-
esque "sidebar-based", or what have you.  Plugins could then introduce
new Admin styles more easily.

All this would really require would be some new filters added to the
Admin section.  As the Fluency plugin shows (not to mention Ozh's drop
down menus) this is quite do-able.

In any case, don't shuffle the menus and don't significantly change
the names of things.  None of that should be changed on a whim.

> Thinking about it, 2.7 is still months away: if it were possible to
> build this idea into core, you would not only prevent a flood of bad
> blogpost and forum posts, but you would make both users and devs even
> happier, while still being able to put the hard CrazyHorse work in the
> hands of those who wish to. Can you spell win-win? :)

I like this.

Now if you'll pardon me, I have some pitchforks and torches to pass
out.  ;-)

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider