[wp-hackers] Re: IP address verification for trackbacks

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Mon Aug 18 16:08:28 GMT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 10:49:51AM -0500, Otto wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 7:22 PM, Kimmo Suominen <kimmo at global-wire.fi> wrote:
> > The web server has to choose the correct certificate for SSL before
> > it gets any information from the client (e.g. browser).  Thus you
> > cannot use a name-based (i.e. shared IP) virtual host with HTTPS.
>
> Sure you can. Look up TLS-SNI. It's been around for a few years.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Name_Indication
>
> To do this with Apache:
> http://www.outoforder.cc/projects/apache/mod_gnutls
>
> LiteSpeed and nginx also have support for it now.

No thanks -- I don't especially want to start maintaining either
Apache or nginx through private packages.

Also, last I checked, mod_gnutls came with a performance warning.

But sure, if you want to code your plugins so that they don't account
for sites using secondary IP addresses, you can certainly choose to
do so.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--