[wp-hackers] Re: IP address verification for trackbacks

Kimmo Suominen kimmo at global-wire.fi
Thu Aug 14 07:39:42 GMT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 7:55 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> Simple Trackback Validation:
> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/simple-trackback-validation/
>
> It does an IP lookup to make sure that the IP of the sending party
> matches that of the website it's claiming to speak for. If that
> passes, then it actually loads the external URL and looks for the link
> back to the blog. If that passes, then it calls it a legit trackback
> and there you go.
>
> Fast, simple, quite effective. I have not had a false positive or
> negative from it yet.

I don't think WordPress does anything to select the IP address it
uses to send trackbacks.  In other words, I think it will use the
primary IP address configured on the host.

I run all websites on secondary IP addresses, so I guess I cannot
send trackbacks to users of this plugin.

My own website couldn't even run on the primary IP address of the
host, as I'm using HTTPS as well.

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--