[wp-hackers] Lost categories upgrading to 2.5.1

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Wed Apr 30 08:12:08 GMT 2008

> I think it is more feasible to accept that misconfiguration will
> result in unwanted behaviour.

Agree - everyone is asked to backup before upgrading, so nothing can be lost
in this process.
If you reconfigure your server to no longer parse php files you wouldn't
expect wordpress to take care for this too, while it would happily spit out
you mysql user/pass whenever someone navigates to wp-config.php.

I think the lost which can arise with that is much grater than having to
backup your data (which indeed may need some priviliges).

The thing is: Normally you have the privileges to do whatever your like at
your database and the ones who changed this (maybe for security reasons)
should know and be easily able reedit privileges whenever upgrading. Why
your host does such nasty stuff like taking away create privileges in
between isn't something to bother wordpress but would be somthing to change
hosts (in my opinion) if there is no really good reson for it.

Cheers
Alex