[wp-hackers] is_front_page should have it's own template file

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Tue Apr 22 19:34:05 GMT 2008

Both are nonsense.
sorry for this harsh answer, I don't want to offend, but as I understand it,
you don't see the obvious point in this.

you'd need a static_front_page.php and a index_front_page.php since it isn't
the templates choise if the frontpage displays the_loop() or just a page.

Is you use only front_page.php this will result in the theme breaking
whenever someone doesn't agree with the theme authors choise for what the
frontpage has to be used for.

Today you need a if... else... check for checking wether a page is frontpage
or not.
after your change - you'll need it too, but in another file.
That just makes no sense.

Imagine I create a front.php which does displays the loop and is layouted
for that and you try displaying a page in it... no good idea if I offer a
page.php which is layout for exactly this.
If I create a front.php which is made for static pages the_loop wont be used
and therefor it will not work at all if you try using it as index

Just my 2ct.