[wp-hackers] SolarisPress?

Mahmoud H. Al-Qudsi computerguru at neosmart.net
Tue Apr 22 15:30:41 GMT 2008

> I know this won't be a popular opinion, but maybe it's time to consider
> porting/extending WordPress so that it supports additional databases
> such as postgres? MySQL in the stack is a bit of an unknown. Recent
> changes may be only the beginning and it will get more tightly bound to
> Solaris or OSolaris (CDDL).
>
> This probably isn't widely known, but Sun also has an obnoxious view on
> software patents. I spoke to Simon Phipps about it and he spoke to
> Marten Mickos, but they never resolved their patent issues, let alone
> the obligations to the GPL.

Hey Roy....

I'm all for adding PostgreSQL compatibility to WP - always have been. But I
think this would fall under the category of doing the right thing for all
the wrong reasons.....

I don't think Sun wants to piss off any of MySQL's current users, and even
if they do, they can't for various legal and financial reasons (GPL - as
much as I have issues with it - guarantees MySQL will be totally free
forever && they'd murder MySQL's success and financial outlook if they tried
anything of the sort via a loophole or something). Unless there is something
I'm missing here?

Best Regards,
MQ