[wp-hackers] wp-denyhost

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Apr 22 15:28:02 GMT 2008

Per Søderlind wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’ve written a plugin (not ready for release yet) that does the following:
> [...]
> The idea is that if a commenter has been tagged as a spammer more than
> PS_DENYHOST_THRESHOLD times, he will be blocked.
> The reason for PS_DENYHOST_THRESHOLD is to prevent a innocent commenter,
> with comments wrongly tags as spam, from being block.
>
> I guess there are similar plugins, but I couldn't find them.

See also: http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/tag/spamvalve

In particular:
http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/2005/05/03/testing-a-new-spam-blocker
http://dougal.gunters.org/blog/2005/05/26/spamvalve-download

I wrote my solution in Perl (except for the WP plugin piece), and it
tied into my host's firewall system. I implemented timeouts so that IP
numbers would expire from my block list after a period of inactivity.
Since the main pieces were stand-alone scripts, I was able to use to
block email spam hosts, too, by monitoring my sendmail logs.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/