[wp-hackers] is_front_page should have it's own template file

Aaron D. Campbell aaron at xavisys.com
Tue Apr 22 13:38:28 GMT 2008

Ozh wrote:
> This is what got me confused. I don't get the point of having index.php
> and front-page.php...
>
> Ozh

For the same reason there is a home.php and an index.php. You can see
the current hierarchy here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy

Most of the sites that I work on use a static page as the front page,
moving the blog to another page (usually something like CompanyName Blog
or CompanyName News), so I used the code contained in the is_front_page
function pretty regularly. Currently the index.php is sort of a
catch-all for anything that you DON'T have a file for. I personally
think it should stay that way. I mean, we COULD just get rid of all of
these pages, and use index.php and a bunch of conditionals (the same
conditionals that are used not to decide what file to use), but the
template files are there as a convenience. For me, and probably quite a
few others that develop business sites (almost exclusively), it would be
really nice to have.