[wp-hackers] Simple comment spam experiment

Eric Marden wp at xentek.net
Fri Apr 18 01:52:45 GMT 2008

> Problem: Blowback.
> Spammers will effectively shut down these sites for dynamic IP users
> who happen to get one of those IPs. Plus side: it will encourage ISPs
> not to allow spammers onto their networks at all and to take more
> proactive measures against this sort of thing.

Considering that many spammer operations are either aided by their
ISPs (Verio used to knowingly harbor spammers, and many of their IPs
were bad for years), or are being sent out by zombied PCs (aka
compromised home users) on their Local DSL/Cable ISP connections, I
doubt that any ISP would be very fast in 'not allowing spammers' due
to lack of available IPv4 addresses and the DHCP connections many of
them use for their customers - at least because of apps employing IP
blocking routines.

-e