[wp-hackers] New Feature: insert header & footer snippets

Alexander Beutl xel at netgra.de
Sat Apr 12 22:35:43 GMT 2008

Stephen, it seams I forgot to quote Doug... this should have been an answer
to his question why not to do it with widgets... which would be something
the themes would have to offer.

Yes for sure wp_head (and wp_footer) have to be integrated into a theme for
it to be a working theme - and so we can rely on that.

"his idea is very similar to widgets. You could just as well argue that we
shouldn't have sidebar widgets because we can just wait for theme authors to
put the things we want into their themes. (And anyway, it's not so hard to
change the code, right?)"

sure - changing code souldn't be hard for any *wp-hackers* anyway ;-) but
there is a weak feeling there may be some more users left... oh well... we
should ignore them (please do not take me for serious this time)

As I thought I mentioned clearly (seems I wasn't as clear as I thought)
here:

"It wouldn't be too hard to add two plain text-fields into the theme pane
(or the widget pane, if you'd like it this way), which are inserted when
wp_head or wp_foot runs."

I am pro inserting 2 new textboxes into theme panel - this would do the
trick I think - it would be theme independent (but in the right place as
everyone will search for it there I think) and there wouldn't be any risk of
loosing this data (even when wp_head() and wp_footer() would not be called
the data would stay in the database for integration into another theme).

You do not have to convince me ;-)

Alex