[wp-hackers] Shortcodes and formatting

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Mon Apr 7 19:01:26 GMT 2008

On Sun, Apr 6, 2008 at 12:50 AM, Viper007Bond <viper at viper007bond.com> wrote:
>  As for HTML comments, this just adds further complications to the code, can
>  cause problems with some shortcodes, and is unnecessary for 99.9% of people
>  as they won't be devactivating the plugins they use. For that 0.1%, Andrew
>  has you covered.

Just for the record, I think a lot more than 0.1% of people have to
turn off plugins if only because they break as part of regular
WordPress core updates and the author isn't around or doesn't want to
fix them. Viper, I'm glad you're expressing so much commitment towards
your own plugins, but a lot of users don't know how to guess at which
devs are going to be around a long time and which are just making a
single release of something they built for themselves. I would also
posit that many users, presented with an annoying situation like ghost
tags from a disabled plugin, will just be annoyed rather than looking
for yet *another* plugin to fix the problem (which itself will someday
die, as all things do).

I have to admit I've lost the actual technical details being debated
here, but +1 for any solution that allows shortcodes to be used inside
<!-- -->, as that is how I definitely prefer things to work.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://simianuprising.com
Code and Design | http://globalvoicesonline.org