[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal: Caching in core

Brian Layman Brian at thecodecave.com
Tue Apr 1 14:42:35 GMT 2008

> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Thomas Bukowski <wordpress at neodude.net>
> > wrote:
> > >  (Idea credit: the whole business with versioning tags and tables is
> > >  andy's idea, from
> > >  http://andy.wordpress.com/2008/03/01/cache-with-versioned-tags/ )
> >
> > I didn't think anyone understood that post. You did. :-)

He definitely wasn't the only one. :) I've given it some thought too and was
trying to find a way around all of the string compares while allowing the
fine tooth references to clear the individual post's cache rather than all
of them.  For example the periodic saves of a draft post you are writing
shouldn't clear the cache of your currently dugg articles.  A properly
indexed attribute table might provide better results than string based tag
arrays on the cache objects. That would allow a btree to do the work but
would shift the resource usage around again if in a much more limited way.
Brian Layman
b5media Inc.
www.b5Media.com / www.TheCodeCave.com / www.RhettAndLink.com/live
Skype: BrianLayman