[wp-hackers] Plugin update & security / privacy

Alex Günsche ag.ml2007 at zirona.com
Sun Sep 23 11:15:41 GMT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 13:12 +0200, Alex Günsche wrote:
> By the way, I was rather shocked when I saw what big bunch of data
> Akismet transmits on connecting to its server. Why the heck does Akismet
> transmit *all* my $_SERVER environment variables? That's a big reason to
> mistrust Akismet, unless there are *very* good reasons for that. And I
> doubt there are any.

By the way, does Rule No. 1 of Automattic's privacy policy still apply?

"We don't ask you for personal information unless we truly need it. (We
can?t stand services that ask you for things like your gender or income
level for no apparent reason.)"

http://automattic.com/privacy/

Because, I also can't stand services that retrieve my $_SERVER variables
and my blog URL for no apparent reason.

</rant>

Kind regards,
Alex

--
Alex Günsche, Zirona OpenSource-Consulting
Blogs: http://www.zirona.com/ | http://www.regularimpressions.net