[wp-hackers] Packing JavaScript

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Tue Sep 18 20:26:50 GMT 2007

Just my two cents:

I think it is pretty illogical to not do something just because it "might
not be as effective" as other things that aren't mutually exclusive.

Hell, if it's just a 1% difference w/ minification + gz compression +
bundling vs just gz compression... That's 1% TIMES xx MILLIONS of requests
to your blog === LOTS of bandwdith saved!

And in this case, it's more than that, seemingly a lot more. But even if it
isn't, I don't think that's a good excuse.

-CG

On 9/18/07, Charles <lists07 at wiltgen.net> wrote:

> >> Anyway, the combination of (1) JavaScript compression, (2) generic
> >> server-side text compression and (3) file-combining is the norm,
> >> not the exception, for sites that uses JavaScript for anything
> >> more serious than roll-overs.
> >
> > 1 and 3 are useless in most (not all, mind you) cases.
>
> I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.
>
> Check out this chart to understand how server-side text compression and
> JavaScript compression/minification* are complementary:
>
> <http://yuiblog.com/assets/pageweight/filesize_by_type.gif>
>
> Combining files when possible is almost always a good idea for deployed
> apps, since (1) HTTP requests are relatively expensive and (2) browsers
> typically limit themselves to two parallel downloads per hostname.
>
> -- Charles
>
> P.S.  I tend to call minifiers that use JavaScript interpreters to avoid
> introducing new bugs during the minification process "compressors".  Not
> everyone makes the distinction.

Computer Guru
Director,
NeoSmart Technologies