[wp-hackers] Switching to Swift Mailer?

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Fri Sep 14 17:38:21 GMT 2007

For me the things that turn me off SwiftMailer over PHPMailer are
from a quick look at it:

  1. The number of files - this increases the chance of someone
breaking there install with a dodgy ftp transfer.
  2. PHP4 support is being dropped so by next year we will be in the
same place we are now - supporting the mailer ourselves
  3. SwiftMailer is designed for mass-mailing PHP applications - not
something required in the core
  4. SwiftMailer requires configuring with an smtp server - it
doesn't use mail() which means we have to add more options to the
admin which must be configured - giving a slower install (mail is
sent during install)

For me, especially once you take 2 into account, we are better
staying with PHPMailer now - if we can make that work better than mail
() for 90% of our users then we will be in the right place - the last
10% will realistically be difficult to support and better suited to a
wp_mail replacement plugin.

westi
--
Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk>