[wp-hackers] Structured Blogging?

Alex Andrews awgandrews at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 11:08:47 GMT 2007

On 08/09/2007, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:
> >
> > Looking at both projects, I can already see the nightmare this will
> > create with the teeming WP theme ecosystem.
> >
> >  From what I see, WP does use microformat in some places (rel for
> > category widgets and such), but since each theme has its own take on
> > the xhtml presentation layer, these plugins have rough seas ahead of
> > them to satisfy their user base.
> >
> > I use microformats where/whenever I can (hcard, hatom, geotag, etc),
> > but at the post and page level in WP, I have found no better way than
> > to stick to the theme and template level for now (coupled with custom
> > fields too).
>
> There's a reason why machine-readable and human-readable content have
> been kept separate all these years.... I still haven't found a
> convincing reason to not just use <link> tags instead..

The Sandbox and derivatives have good microformats support. Though I
am coding haudio into my record company management plugin, I very much
doubt if even 10% of users will use it. Until the standard browser
public become aware, and microformats are default in major browsers, I
see limited takeup. I see the point from a technical and future proof
side, but not so much for a user experience side.

As for Custom Write panel, it has nothing to do with the theme, but
simply represents the write form in another style, mainly for using
custom fields.

Alex