[wp-hackers] Single sign-on with Wordpress & Mediawiki

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 28 22:01:34 GMT 2007

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 14:19:56 -0700, "Robin Adrianse"
<robin.adr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/28/07, Computer Guru <computerguru at neosmart.net> wrote:
> >
> > It would be nice if all these popular open source projects could use
> > standards for a lot of things.
>
> I'll have some of whatever he's smoking... :P

What are you talking about? Open Source, as a whole, is built on
a huge foundation of standards. Not only that, but there's a library
for almost everything, and re-use is fairly common. Write a standard
with a BSD-licensed reference implementation, make it visible so people
know about it, and you're gold.

And since I brought up the topic of visibility -- see also: PAM[1], and
the PHP bindings[2]. I'm pretty sure that plugging this into the WP auth
framework would allow WP and any other PAM-enabled software to work off
the same auth tables. The issue is then simply a matter of getting more
PHP packages to use PAM, vs. rolling their own internal auth system. ;)

--
Travis

In Series maintainer
Random coder & quality guy