[wp-hackers] Proposal for a function commenting convention

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Oct 14 08:18:11 GMT 2007

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:31:25 +0300, Kimmo Suominen
<kimmo at global-wire.fi> wrote:

> Hi Travis,
>
> Numbers are good, but I'm not sure you are using the right ones.  The
> real time is wall clock time, and is affected by all jobs running on
> the system.  I think the relevant number is the sum of user and sys
> times.

The system was very lightly loaded. I locked the CPU to its maximum
frequency for the tests, and it idles at ~2-3% there. Wall clock time
was used because it was the only thing marginally comparable to the page
generation time I'd see in the embedded WordPress page generation stats.

<snip>
> To get the impact on PHP execution time, you should run PHP directly
> from the command line using the time command.  Maybe this is what
> you did, but it is not clear to me from your message.

I ran the test load from the command line. The WordPress home page for
my test installation was generated via Apache; the generation time was
taken from the embedded generation stats at the end of the page. These
values should not be affected by Apache (AFAIK).

> Even then you should probably run something like 1000 repeats of
> each, and use the average (or median or something -- I'm by no means
> well versed in statistics).

"Statistically significant" tends to start at 20, but I didn't care
*that* much ;). Standard deviation et. al. would be nice for getting a
higher confidence in the numbers, but even taking the margin of error
up to +/-50% would still leave 3.5% on the low end and 24% on the
high.

--
Travis

In Series maintainer