[wp-hackers] Wordpress minor versions changing things for no reason, why?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Oct 12 06:53:57 GMT 2007

wp_set_post_cats was deprecated in June of 2006, as of version 2.1 (I
think, bit uncertain on the version).

What likely broke your code here in 2.3 was the change to the terms
system, where cats and tags got combined. Unfortunate side effect, but
few people check deprecated code because the core code no longer
actually uses it.

The problem is how do you know if you're using deprecated code? I
mean, your plugin is clearly still using it, even though it's been
deprecated for more than a year. This sort of problem might be avoided
sooner if changes like this one were put into place:
http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/4361

If the user was notified of plugins using deprecated code, then it
would encourage authors to change sooner rather than later. I realize
that stability is important for plugin authors, but I don't think it
should come at the price of discouraging innovation in the core code
either.

There may not be a perfect answer to this one.