[wp-hackers] WordPress plugin update bugs

Travis Snoozy ai2097 at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 4 21:36:47 GMT 2007

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:19:37 -0700, Michael D Adams <mikea at turbonet.com>
wrote:

<snip>
> It should no longer be the case that that is required.  That was a
> workaround for the bug I believe I have fixed.
>
> Right now the title of the plugin as defined by that plugin's meta
> data is the only thing that matters.  The readme file is used for
> display only on wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

Well, hooray; that means I should be in the clear at least. ;)

> I believe the only current limitation is that the title of the
> plugin as defined in the meta data should not be changed between
> versions. I'm working to see what is feasible to make things even
> more robust.

See http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5116 for a good suggestion going
forward. Heuristics going backward are pretty much going to be a
crap-shoot, but if we point "unknown" plugins to their plugin home
page, users at least stand a chance of getting back on track.
Eventually, all the active plugins will get their rear in gear to the
point where either the heuristics or the SVN match is working for them.

--
Travis

In Series maintainer
Random coder & quality guy