[wp-hackers] PostgreSQL port status?

Christine Davis christine at neato.co.nz
Mon Oct 1 04:03:43 GMT 2007

One of the other times the topic came up (Hah.  October last year,
actually);  Matt said, among other things...

It's theoretically possible, and even attractive if you imagine *how
much larger* our userbase could be if we simply supported every
conceivable server configuration, but at some point the costs add up:

1) Infinitely more complex testing (we have enough trouble with W/LAMP)
2) Same for debugging
3) Non-trivial overhead in code
4) Much slower development (WP Vista in 2008!)
5) No visible benefits to regular users

I will be the first to admit that it is entirely luck that WP happens to
be attached to the most popular and fastest growing database in history,
and written in the most successful server-side scripting language, but
let's not throw away so lightly the benefits to development the
luckiness in our platform choices provided.

This is one of those things which keeps coming up over and over again on
this mailing list; which is probably why you aren't seeing a lot of core
devs....