[wp-hackers] Unified HTTP Request API

Jacob wordpress at santosj.name
Thu Nov 22 10:26:08 GMT 2007

Peter Westwood wrote:

> This looks interesting.
>
> If we are going to develop an internal API to remove the multiple calls
> littered around the code then we need to review whether or not we should
> just extend snoopy or if we are going to replace it remove it completely
> from being called by core code and deprecate it later.
>
> For the core implementation we should concentrate on the 2 or 3
> implementations that cover 90%+ of the install base and leave the more
> esoteric ones as plugin territory.
>
> westi
> - --
> Peter Westwood
> http://blog.ftwr.co.uk

Second iteration [1] is finished. I plan to start writing the unit tests
after this and actually testing the code to make sure it works. And
moving some of the objects over to a plugin. Also needs object caching
and polish.

I found that the only thing that snoopy is used for (Magpie RSS feed
retrieval), can pretty much be replaced with wp_remote_fopen() or the
API I'm writing. Unless some Plugin uses it, I don't see a need for it.
The API also fixes another bug [2], or at least it will if it is
included and all of the references in the core is switched over.

[1] http://trac.wordpress.org/attachment/ticket/4779/http.2.php
[2] http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5065

--

Jacob Santos

http://www.santosj.name - blog
http://wordpress.svn.dragonu.net/unittest/ - unofficial WP unit test suite.

Also known as darkdragon and santosj on WP trac.