[wp-hackers] Excluding pages/posts from search

Justin Moore wantmoore at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 13:54:59 GMT 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 1:07 AM, Hacker Scot <shacker at birdhouse.org> wrote:
> What if there were a boolean "searchable" field in each of wp_posts,
> wp_comments, wp_users, and possibly other tables as necessary.
>
> 0 = not searchable
> 1 = searchable
>
> WP could keep its current default search behavior by setting these
> values to the current standards (posts yes, pages no, comments no).
> But with that small amount of metadata available for all content
> types, a good Search Enhancer plugin could do all of:
>
> - Provide a "Searchable?" checkbox in all post, page, and comment
> editing interfaces (granularity)
> - Let the admin change the site-wide defaults
> - Let the admin batch-edit current settings (e.g. turn all comments
> searchability on or off)
>
> A lot of functionality could be made available to search plugins with
> a few small table modifications and very little change to WP core.

I think this idea seems pretty sound for the most part. However,
knowing WP history on new/additional options, I think any manipulation
to this field should be left to plugin territory, similarly to how the
roles/capabilities stuff was added and then Role Manager came along to
let you control those new options.

Just my $0.02.

--
Justin Moore