[wp-hackers] SELECT DISTINCT .... ORDER BY not working....

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Wed Nov 21 05:27:47 GMT 2007

On 11/21/07, Stephane Daury <wordpress at tekartist.org> wrote:

> Of course, having some fined tune indices bundled with the installer,
> based on the queries the code runs (at least the major ones) and not
> just the primary keys, would be a nice step forward being more
> efficient with our madness right out of the box. ;-)  Let's us be a
> bit more feature/stability minded at the code level, rather than worry
> about performance at every corner. Then again, being attentive at the
> latter level is always an appreciated plus.
>
> Stephane

Actually, my problem is with the PHP.
MySQL is very finely-tuned on my server, and has never given me any problems
under load - it's PHP that balks when I get slashdotted.

But at any rate, I think it's *always* important to keep Performance in
mind, because it doesn't require *not* doing or adding or changing any
features - it just requires that you do them in a certain way, and pay
attention to the stuff that's going on.

For instance, instead of just caching SQL results, it would be a ten-fold
performance boost to cache the results of some of the larger FOR loops in
the code....

Logically speaking, MySQL is compiled/native code, PHP isn't - we really
need to give PHP performance attention to; not just MySQL.

just my 2 cents.
-CG