[wp-hackers] Plugin zip problem on wordpress.org

Callum Macdonald lists.automattic.com at callum-macdonald.com
Wed Nov 14 08:06:04 GMT 2007

Jeremy Visser wrote:
> It actually downloads as wordpress-2.3.1.tar.gz if you do it with
> Firefox. That's because of the Content-Disposition header sent by the
> web server. Have a look:
> This tells the browser what filename to save the file as, but
> unfortunately wget doesn't support that header, for some reason. I
> guess it makes it easier to predict the filename when running it from
> a script; but I guess if you were scripting it, you'd use the -O
> argument to force it to have a particular filename.
You can save it with whatever filename you choose, but simply
downloading latest.tar.gz doesn't tell you which version it is, unless
you check wp-includes/version.php. If it were to redirect to 2.3.1.tgz
then you'd know the version you were getting, and could therefore figure
out which was the latest...

C.