[wp-hackers] Re: Spam against reCaptcha

Ben Maurer ben.maurer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 18:42:29 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm a developer on reCAPTCHA. Please see our FAQ entry on this:

HELP, I'm still seeing comment spam

There are two common issues that make reCAPTCHA appear to be broken,
but are actually not problems.

    * Moderation emails: reCAPTCHA marks comments as spam, so if you
get moderation emails when spam comments are sent, you will get
moderation emails for all spam comments with reCAPTCHA. We highly
recommend turning off moderation emails with reCAPTCHA.
    * Trackbacks and Pingbacks: reCAPTCHA can't do anything about
pingbacks and trackbacks. You can disable pingbacks and trackbacks in
Options | Discussion | Allow link notifications from other Weblogs
(pingbacks and trackbacks).

We're working on a way to make these issues easier to understand for
users, as it's a cause for confusion. We'd appreciate suggestions from
wp-hackers on this matter.