[wp-hackers] The WordPress schema

Computer Guru computerguru at neosmart.net
Mon Nov 5 21:50:35 GMT 2007

No, for the last time, there doesn't have to be a place on the net for
CraigsList's schema any more than there is one for eBay or Amazon or
Microsoft.

It's a PRIVATE site, PRIVATELY developed on PRIVATELY owned code - meaning
we don't have it :)

MediaWiki is an OPEN SOURCE project with OPEN SOURCE code and schema.

On 11/5/07, Blast o_O <neryver at infomed.sld.cu> wrote:

> Heyy, I like the way you talk in this list people :)
>
> Travis, please look at my comments below ;)
>
> On Sun, 2007-11-04 at 20:05 -0800, Travis Snoozy wrote:
> > On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 16:06:01 -0500, Blast o_O <neryver at infomed.sld.cu>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks to all answers ;)
> > >
> > > Do you know where can I find a picture about the schema!!!??? :)
> > > I'm tryin to install DBDesigner in my Ubuntu but I have lots of
> > > troubles reading MySQL servers ;)
> > >
> > > Thanks to all ;)
> > > B.
> > >

> > If you're writing a plugin, you really, really, really should try to
> > avoid messing with the WordPress-stored data by hand (which is the only
> > reason you would need to know about the schema).
>
> With a friend are studying different databases schema like mediawiki,
> pligg and others and we wanted to print the one from wordpress too, so
> there is another reason ;) and that's why I asked if there where a
> generated picture from the database, as the one I found from the
> mediawiki for instance ;) [b1]
>
> > Use the WordPress
> > APIs[1][2] to alter and read what you need about users, posts,
> > tags/categories, links, comments and options. This will make your code
> > more robust if the schema changes in the future.
>
> Thanks for the info, i haven't even thought in the wordpress api ;)
>
> > If you absolutely must query the tables directly, the easiest way to
> > see how they work is to either view the schema file[3], or install
> > Apache, PHP, MySQL and WordPress on your local box, and look at the
> > database WordPress creates. The MySQL manual[4] should have all the
> > information you need about SQL syntax and the DESCRIBE TABLE
> > and SELECT commands. No, it won't describe the relationships for you --
> > you have to match the foreign keys up yourself, since the FK constraints
> > are not explicitly set in this schema (which means you also won't be
> > able to "get a picture" -- the connections will be missing). It's not
> > hard to figure out what the fields do, and which fields are foreign key
> > references, just from the field names. It's what developers like to call
> > "self-documenting". ;)
> >
> > Again, it's not too hard -- however, it does provide a bar, whether
> > intentional or not. You have to grok RDBMSs and English
>
> About my "groking" and my English, well, I'm trying :) but thanks
> anyway!!!
>
> > at at least a
> > minimal level, and have a little bit of developer's intuition, before
> > you can start playing with these matches.
> >
> o_O
> >
> > As to your other question: you cannot get the schema for a site's
> > database (e.g., "craigslist"), unless you have access to the back-end
> > SQL servers or a person with inside knowledge -- that information is
> > private. In any case, unless you're running software *on* that site,
> > the scheme it uses is completely irrelevant. There is no such thing as
> > a "site schema".

> [...]

Computer Guru
Director,
NeoSmart Technologies