[wp-hackers] Per-page Widget Settings

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu May 31 21:08:16 GMT 2007

I'm not entirely certain how you're envisioning the interface here, so
I cannot say how to do it the way you want to do it. The consensus on
trac seemed to be that most people disliked hated the user interface
of SBM, because it made you configure the widgets to show up in
certain places instead of configuring the places to show certain
widgets, if that makes any sense.

I would expect that you would extend the Post/Page editing screen to
allow you to reposition/change widgets there. As well as create
someplace where you can do the same for various other types of things
(search, archives, etc).

Where you need extra hooks and such (to determine what widgets to
show, of course), my suggestion is to go ahead and add those hooks and
then submit the changes to the core code as a patch. Heck, if it's
good, I'd not make it a plugin at all, but submit a patch and get it
in the core. The user interface is the key issue here.