[wp-hackers] PHP5 Switch Campaign

Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira eduo at mac.com
Sat May 19 13:38:59 GMT 2007

On May 19, 2007, at 1:06 AM, Matt Mullenweg wrote:
> Michael E. Hancock wrote:

I know, precisely because I requested this of eleven2 (the hosting I
use), that some of them don't plan to switch until most major
packages support PHP5. It's a kind of catch-22. Although I understand
the reticence of developers to support a minoritary platform this in
turn sends the signal that php5 is not good enough to warrant a
switch. Since implementing it would mean lots of support requests
(many more than currently exist for not offering it) hosting
solutions don't really have the incentive to do it.

Aah, the joys of backwards compatibility. Provide it and you can't
evolve as readily. Don't provide it and you risk alienating your
customers/users.

Eduo