[wp-hackers] WordPress 3

Matt speedboxer at gmail.com
Fri May 18 00:58:53 GMT 2007

On 5/17/07, DD32 <wordpress at dd32.id.au> wrote:

> That sounds like a pretty good lineup of what i'd expect for the next
> major version jump.
> Except the PHP4 support being droped, I think we all know that the hosts
> arnt likely to upgrade to PHP5 accross the board.
> Instead, maybe just bump the current required PHP to 4.3 (given 4.4 is
> out), That'll add a few extra options to developers, and also means that
> hosts can stay with PHP4 if they want, they just need to keep it updated.
> (BTW, requirements for WP state PHP 4.2, Wordpress code checks to see if
> its 4.1)

Making the requirements PHP 5(.2?) will force hosts into being more
up-to-date. It's not like it's hard to run PHP 4 and 5 on the same server.

If we kept PHP4, then we might as well make it PHP 4.4. Although, really,
how much longer is PHP4 still going to be getting new releases?

--
Matt (speedboxer at gmail.com)
http://mattsblog.ca/ | http://livemp.net/