[wp-hackers] Restructuring Category Hierarchy

Michael E. Hancock mhancock at us.net
Tue May 8 16:48:09 GMT 2007

From: "Jamie Talbot" <wphackers at jamietalbot.com>
> Omry Yadan wrote:
> > I am not sure I fully understand the the proposed implementation, but I
> > do understand that changes will happen over many queries.
> > be sure to do it inside a transatcion, else wierd things will happen if
> > you get an error when you are half done.
>
> Unfortunately, transactions are not available with MyISAM tables in MySQL.
There are many, many
> places in WordPress that would benefit from them if they were.

This comment about transactions made me wonder about the reliability of
something like the Nested List (or any linked list) approach.

With the current design, if something borks on a server when adding or
deleting a category, not a big deal--just causes the user to have to re-add
or re-delete that category.

But with the Nested List, what happens in a delete case, where the server
*coughs* just after the deletion step, but before the left and right
pointers get reset?

When you have control of your MySQL server this is probably a moot point,
but there's way too many hosts where I see stability problems with their
servers.

Is that something to be concerned about?

MichaelH